Effective Date: December 20, 2013
- Your Acceptance
- Information We Collect
- Our Information Use
- Information Sharing and Disclosure
- Cookies and Web Beacons
- Accessing, Reviewing and Changing your Personal Information
- Confidentiality and Security
- Third-Party Practices
- Regarding Children
- Additional Terms
- We collect Non-Personal Information and Personal Information (each defined below) from you in two ways: information that you give to us, or information that we collect from your use of our Service.
- We may share your Personal Information with third-parties in many situations, including as necessary to provide you with aspects of our Service, or in our discretion to third-parties for our or their own purposes. To learn more about our rights to share your information, please see Information Sharing and Disclosure below.
- You can review and update your Personal Information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We use commercially reasonable efforts to secure your information, but we cannot guarantee, nor should you expect, that your information will remain secure at all times and in all circumstances.
- We have special concerns about the privacy of users who are minors (users under the age of 18), as further addressed in the Regarding Children section below. Our Service and Local Web Pages are not directed to children under 13.
2. YOUR ACCEPTANCE
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Local collects information from you in two ways: information you give to us, and information that we gather from your use of our Service, each as more specifically described below. Such information is made up of "Personal Information" and "Non-Personal Information."
"Personal Information" means information that you provide to us that personally identifies you, such as your first and last name, email address, physical address, telephone number, billing information, or social security number.
"Non-Personal Information" means information that does not specifically identify you.
Information you give to us.
We collect information that you give to us. For example, our Service may require that you register for a Local Account (as defined in our Terms of Service) to receive certain features of our Service. Such registration may include your disclosure to us of Personal Information. We may also receive information from you if enter our promotions or sweepstakes, or if you participate (i.e., providing postings or other correspondence) in chat rooms, message boards, news groups and other community services available to you through the Service. Postings, activities, correspondence, and any content therein that you enter into the Service are governed by our Terms of Service. We may save any such postings or comments made to our Service.
Businesses who wish to partner with us, advertise with us, be included in our business listings, or participate in our Service in any other way may be asked to provide information such as a business name, website URL, telephone number, physical address, email address, description of business, service areas, business category and/or keyword information, credit card information, and other contact information (collectively, "Business Information"). Business Information may also include a business’s opt-in to receive additional information regarding services that we or our Partners may provide. Some Business Information may be Personal Information. If this information is collected by us or our partners via telephone, you acknowledge that we or our partners may be recording your telephone call for our training or quality control purposes during such call.
Information we gather from your use of our Service.
We, like many websites and applications, collect information about what parts of our Service you use and how you use them. Information we may gather includes, but is not limited to:
- Computer or browser information such as your system activity, the domain name of the web site from which you linked to our Service and/or the Local Web Pages, the time and duration of your use of our Service and any queries, browser type, and browser language.
- Device information such as your hardware model, operating system, operating system version, mobile device type, unique identifiers from your computer or mobile device, application download information, and/or IP address.
- Location information such as your geolocation when you use our Service from a mobile device and/or mobile application. We may ask for you to manually provide precise location information or to enable your mobile device to send us precise location information.
Please see the Cookies and Web Beacons section below for more information regarding what cookies are and how you can manage them as part of your use of our Service. We may also use unique identifiers, Flash cookies, web beacons, web server log information, or other technologies to collect information about you. In addition to the information that we collect from you for our own Service, we may collect information from you for third parties for purposes such as ad targeting, optimization and reporting.
4. OUR INFORMATION USE
We collect information from you and our other users to administer our business activities and to measure and improve our Service. Information is also used to fulfill your requests, conduct research, and develop new services and/or offer additional products and services to our visitors. For example, Local may use your IP address to determine which language to use to provide you with Internet search results, or to advise you how far a particular vendor is from your location. In addition, information collected from end-users may be used in aggregate form to, among other things, determine the total number of end-users who are using our Service, prepare utilization reports for our Partners (as defined below), diagnose and fix compatibility problems or other problems with our Service, and perform statistical analyses to enable us to build higher quality, more useful online services. We may use your information to process account transactions that you request or authorize, to make you aware of new or other services that we offer, or to help conduct surveys to assess and improve our Service. The information collected from end-users also allows us to deliver search results pages that are as responsive as possible to an individual end-user's particular search query of the content of the page such end-user is viewing (for example, serving results in the end-user's native language and tailored to the end-user's country of connectivity). We may use the information collected from you to show advertising and promotions tailored to your interests. If you submit a request for information about Local through our web site, we may use your e-mail address to assist you with any issues you may have or to send you an e-mail that gives you the opportunity to elect to receive periodic e-mail alerts from Local regarding developments at the company. In addition, if you elect to receive promotional information from Local when you create a Local Account, we will use the information you provided to Local during the Local Account creation process to send you only promotions that will be most relevant to you.
We may also use your e-mail address to send you important notices. Because this information is important to your use of our Service, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
We use Business Information to create accounts for businesses, to include businesses in our listings, to communicate changes to the Service, to improve the Service, to provide anonymous reporting for our internal purposes and for reporting to third-parties, and to market Local products and services, and those of of our Partners to such businesses. Businesses should note that certain Business Information will be displayed within a business’s ad copy and/or business listing on the Service. Businesses may edit their information by contacting our Client Services department at email@example.com or as we otherwise provide as part of our Service.
We may combine your Personal Information that we have with other information that we obtain from business partners or other companies. We may also combine your Personal Information with Non-Personal Information. If we do so, the combined information will be treated as Personal Information for as long as it remains combined.
5. INFORMATION SHARING AND DISCLOSURE
In providing our Service to you, we may find it necessary or beneficial to share your information with our partners, including our advertising, services and content partners (collectively, "Partners") or allow such Partners to gather information directly from you.
Some of this information that you provide to us or our Partners may include your Personal Information. We may share your Personal Information with third parties in certain circumstances including the following situations:
- Consent: We will share Personal Information with third-parties when we have your consent to do so.
- Partners: We provide your Personal Information to Partners who work with us to provide our Service, or provide services outside of and/or unrelated to the Local Web Pages or Service. Our Services with which our Partners may assist us include among other things, communicating with you about new or existing Local or third-party services, creating or maintaining our databases, researching or analyzing our users, or processing payment card information.
- Legal Issues: Local will use your Personal Information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims. We will also use or share your Personal Information in order to prevent, or take action regarding any illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law even without a subpoena, warrant, or court order.
- Business Information: We may sell or otherwise distribute to third parties any Business Information that you provide to us as we determine in our sole discretion, regardless of whether such Business Information is Personal Information or Non-Personal Information. Your termination of any services with Local or our Partners will not result in your deletion of your Business Information, nor will we necessarily discontinue our use, sale or distribution of your Business Information following your termination except as required by law. We will not provide your credit card information to any third party except as necessary to provide or assist our Service. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate any deletion and prevent our further use or distribution of your Business Information.
We reserve the right to share your Non-Personal Information publicly and with others. Examples of public information disclosures include providing anonymous reports to our Partners, such as the number of users who searched for "used cars" or how many users clicked on a particular listing or advertising on our Local Web Pages. Other areas include postings on chat rooms, message boards, and other public forums within our Service. Such postings may appear on third-party websites or when searches are posted on the subject of your posting. In addition, some of the Non-Personal Information is provided to our Partners for uses such as calculating amounts owed by or to such Partners, or helping such Partners improve their services, amongst others.
Transfers of your information shall at all times be in accordance with applicable law. Local disclaims any liability or obligation as a result of any third party actions or omissions concerning your information, including those occurring as a result of our sharing and disclosure pursuant to this Section 5. We urge you to contact third parties directly with any issues you may have concerning their use of your information. Please see Third-Party Practices below for more information on third-party use of your information.
6. COOKIES AND WEB BEACONS
We currently use the services of web analytics companies to help us measure the effectiveness of our Service, including the advertising on the Service. To do this, we allow the web analytics companies to include Web beacons and cookies on the Local Web Pages. The type of information collected via such Web beacons and cookies includes search terms, search parameters, click-throughs by users, and other similar information. By supplementing our records, this information helps us learn things like user preferences, popular search categories, click-through rates, how to improve our Service, and what kinds of offers our users like to see. Although our web analytics companies log this information on our behalf, we control how that data may be used.
7. ACCESSING, REVIEWING AND CHANGING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you have a Local Account with us, you have the ability to review and update your Personal Information online by clicking on a "My Account" link (or similar link) on the Service and logging into your Local Account. You can also review and update your Personal Information by contacting us at email@example.com. Generally, we will not modify your Personal Information because it is very difficult to verify your identity remotely. You must promptly update your Personal Information if it changes or is inaccurate. Once you make a public posting, you may not be able to change or remove it. Upon your request, we will close your Local Account and remove your Personal Information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your Local Account activity and in accordance with applicable law. We do retain Personal Information from closed Local Accounts to comply with law, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our terms and conditions, and take other actions permitted by law.
8. CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
9. THIRD-PARTY PRACTICES
When users submit a search query on our Service, Non-Personal Information, such as IP addresses and search terms or phrases, is transmitted to certain Partners with whom Local has subcontracted so that those Partners can deliver responsive Internet search results, advertising, or other services and, in some cases, for the internal data reporting purposes of those Partners. Our Partners are obligated by applicable law to protect the privacy of certain types of data; however, we are not responsible for their actions or omissions, including the manner in which they use information that they receive from us. Nevertheless, if you feel that any of our Partners, or any third party who claims association with Local, is improperly collecting or using information about you, we urge you to contact them directly and also to inform us by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. REGARDING CHILDREN
We comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). For more information about COPPA and children's privacy, please click here. When we use the term "parent" below, we mean to include legal guardians.
Children under the age of 13
Our Service is not directed to children under the age of 13. We do not provide memberships or Local Accounts to persons under age 13. If you are under the age of 13, you may not give us any Personal Information, and you may not create a Local Account, register, sign up for or participate in any aspect of our Service. Except as may be required by law, we will not knowingly collect, maintain, or disclose any Personal Information from children under the age of 13.
We do not intentionally gather Personal Information about visitors or end-users who are under the age of 13. If you believe that we have collected Personal Information about a visitor or end-user who is under the age of 13, please contact us at email@example.com, and such account and/or Personal Information will be deleted.
Children between the ages of 13 and 18
Information for Parents
We encourage parents to spend time online with their children to become familiar with the types of content available on the internet, including the Local Web Pages. Parents should regularly oversee their children's use of e-mail and other online communications and transactional features. Control tools are available from online services and software manufacturers that can help provide a safe online environment for kids.
We do not require a child to disclose more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in the Service as a condition of participation. Parents may request a review and/or removal of their child's Personal Information at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org and providing us with the same screen name, password, and e-mail address that their child submitted. To protect the child's privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify the parent's identity before granting him or her access to the child's Personal Information.
11. ADDITIONAL TERMS
California Privacy Rights Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits end users who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send us an e-mail at email@example.com or write us at: Local.com Ltd, 46 Discovery Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92618, Attn: Legal Department.